So, say you pick up a book that tells you all about Methane Generators, because you have to do some research for Science about using biomass to produce methane (ah yes, you can start paying me for your power now). However, as your flipping through this book your either reading and not understanding a thing (it could have very well been French) or your reading but not paying much attention (hmm, I wonder what I can make for dinner tonight) because it is so boring. This is a major problem today for our students. They are either lacking an understanding about what they are having to read, or they are unmotivated with the texts. The students that are able to overcome the "text complexity" are those that have more experience or schema with what is being read. For example, little Johnny knows all about methane generators because his daddy runs a chicken farm and has plans for constucting one in the near future.
Conley talks about three different types of texts (informational, narrative, and digital) and the challenges they pose. While each one of those texts will be encountered by your students, you should take into consideration that you need to address ways for students to benefit the most from their readings. Also, why have them read something that has no relevance to what they are learning? Please, please, please don't bore your students to tears! Yes you are going to have to cover material that they could care less about, but I am almost positive that you can make it interesting if you just put some thought into it (which I am starting to think this is the problem with some educators). Why not bring in some other texts or make connections to their real lives so they have a better understanding of what your going to talk about.
Also, make sure you check out what the students are going to be reading, and guide them on the right path. Make sure they are reading on an appropriate level. With that being said, your going to have several students in your class on different reading levels, this is where differentation comes into play (don't act stupid we all had the same classes). One way to assess text complexity is by using the Fry readability graph. DING DING DING, here comes information connecting from different classes. I was introduced to the Fry graph last semester, and although it looks really complicated at first and does take some practice runs, it is a great tool when assessing the reading level appropriate for your students. Conley goes on to talk about other ways to check readability levels, but I personally like the Fry graph best.
Okay, it's late and I feel like I'm rambling, but the point I'm trying to make is: MOTIVATION is the key to student success. :) You introduce them to different texts, and model ways for them to benefit the most from them and your bound to have success.
I have to agree with you about Educators not putting enough effort into planning for those VERY boring days! When sitting in the 6th grade science class this last Monday listening to the teacher talk about the different water currents I just about fell asleep! So I knew if I was having trouble staying awake those poor students!!! Our job as educators is to do just that EDUCATE but we have to remember that not all of our students are going to be interested. Just like in the last chapter we read we need to assess our students to see their interests. This will help us to better know how to teach our students and make the content interesting!
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you on boring teachers. I know that the information that they want us to read is extremely important, but just make the instruction meaningful and interesting. It's basically the old teachers who have been teaching for about 20 years or more. They are so use to just lecturing and using the textbook...Please somebody help them and me. What do you think about digital text? I really like digital text because this country is forever expanding in technology and the new kids on the block are all about computeres, texting, and video games. So I think that this is a very great method to use in the classroom, but we have to remember that it should not be the only text used in the classrooms because different people learn in different ways.
ReplyDeleteRoxanna, I think you hit the nail on the head. Teachers are more worried about teaching the test rather than making text interesting. If educators would realize that making text interesting allows children to learn, then their job would be a lot less stressful. A lot of times teachers are so caught up in teaching facts that may be on the test, but I believe that if we engaged our students in grand conversations about the text, test questions will fall into place. It is our duty to teach students how to learn for themselves and think critically. When we have been successful in this task, the test will be in the back of our minds.
ReplyDelete